The Navy is a world leader in marine species research, investing over $20 million in research each year.
Data and reports from scientific research and monitoring help environmental regulators, scientists, the public, and the Navy to:
- Build a better understanding of the abundance, distribution, foraging, reproduction, hearing, sound production, and behavior of marine species.
- Refine methods used to detect and monitor marine species before, during, and after training and testing activities.
- Advance the understanding of the effects of underwater sound on marine species.
- Improve models used to estimate potential effects of underwater sound on marine species.
- Establish guidelines to mitigate effects of training and testing on marine species.